Sunday, February 13, 2011

Week # 1 Introduction to Webskills

This is my second online course. At the beginning I thought all online courses would have the same scheme, but they are not.  I started the course in a rush because I was away from home. But since the first day I liked the way that it’s been conducted. I have met many people with experience in English teaching. I will introduce part of the job I do in class.
I teach English to high school and university students.  I have three groups: university, pedagogy and high school students. The youngest students are from high school. This time I am going to talk about my university students. I teach first English level with a multimedia program called DynEd (Dynamic Education) under a blended model class. We spend 3 hours in a computer lab plus one face-to-face hour class.
My main objective is to develop the students' speaking and listening skills in the lab, socialization with reading and writing in the classroom.  The students  do the practice as follow:
1. Answering the exercises practicing the four skills by interacting with the computer
2. Repeating the dialogs, phrases, vocabulary, sentences and so on by pressing the repeat button three times.
3. Voice recording one time
4. Voice monitoring one time
5.  Playback as many times as needed
6.  Additional classroom activities
7. Workbook-based instruction as homework

Our resources are:

A computer lab, headphones, workbook and a multimedia program New Dynamic English. This program has 8 modules. We are using Module 1 for the first Level which contents are:
Present simple tense, pronouns, nouns, adjectives, verbs, wh-questions, prepositions, numbers, time,
dialogs: names, places, family members, jobs, addresses, telephone numbers, etc., through listening comprehension, speech recognition, voice record, playback and video exercises. These activities are done 3 hours in the computer lab and one hour in the classroom.
With 76 hours of practice per semester, students will develop:
  • Pronunciation and Oral Fluency
  • Listening and Reading Comprehension
  • Sentence Structure and Effective Sequencing of ideas

After approving an English level, students will get a Proficiency Diploma certified by the Labor Department.

This is a general framework of my class and this is one of my groups. If you want to know more about DynEd go to its website: www.dyned.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment